In the recent years, drugs used for cognitive enhancement among students and workers have become popular. Marijuana is no longer the go-to drug as there are more available options. Today we discuss two of the commonly abused prescribed medication, their effects, and possible dangers.
The two can be considered as stimulants but what sets them apart is that where Adderall increases dopamine levels that then stimulates the nervous system, modafinil decreases gamma-aminobutyric acid which is known to slow down the brain’s performance.
It is the most popular Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) medication from the amphetamines class of drugs.
Once inside the brain, it increases the effect of
to high concentration levels making it effective for combating fatigue. Also, it enhances the flow of the three to the synapses. But this state of feeling good makes you want more. This is how addiction and dependency on the drug arises.
It is a powerful Central Nervous System stimulant
Individuals who have used it often report feeling a euphoric high and pleasant feelings such as false confidence, focus, and attentiveness.
When taken orally it lasts for about 3-5 hours, giving the ‘high’ kind of feeling, and begins working in 10-30 minutes after ingestion.
You should not consume Adderall with fruit juices or vitamin C as this would affect the level of Adderall absorption into the body.
What is Adderall made of?
It contains a combination of two stimulant drugs,
- The drug awakens the sensory functions and ones more aware of their surroundings.
- Enables one to be more attentive, therefore for ADHD patients, it enables them to be more cognitive and pay attention to their environment not only to themselves.
- Whereas for recreational users it enables them to work more efficiently.
- it increases one’s concentration on a particular matter. For ADHD patients, this reduces their hyperactivity and impulsiveness.
- in dopamine levels enabling one to become more active.
- handling tasks becomes less complicated due to the increased stimulation and focus.
- improves memory, productivity and sharpens focus.
- high school seniors and some college kids are known to take the drug on social occasions as this boosts their self-image and confidence making it easy for them to socialize with others.
- enables the user to become more cheerful, removing the dull side of life.
Improved physical performance
- commonly used by athletes for performance enhancing. It reduces fatigue, masks pain and increases aggressiveness as well as strength.
- intense happiness, pleasure, and excitement. Often referred to as ‘Highness’.
Increased heart rate
- due to stimulation, the heart rate can increase to over 100 beats per minute. This can even lead to a heart attack.
- high body temperatures as the liver try to combat the drug producing more heat.
- feeling that everyone is watching you and judging.
- this can lead to weight loss and slow down weight gain especially among children.
- constant worrying and fear. Therefore elevates the fight or flee response.
- the user may become violent and hostile especially when the effects of the drug wears out. Verbal or even physical abuse may characterize this.
Increased blood pressure
- increase heart rates increase the force of the blood in the arteries and veins, and this could lead to a heart attack.
- due to its wakefulness capability, one has problems falling and staying asleep.
- Adderall slows down muscles in the digestive tract leading to abdominal pains, constipation, and diarrhea.
Over abuse of it can lead to:
- unusual thoughts or behavior. Signs of psychosis range from paranoia, hallucinations, aggression to hostility.
- involuntary contractions of muscles leading to involuntary body shaking.
- it is an involuntary action and can cause severe headaches.
- Still one becomes restless.
A negative effect on cognition
- long-term abuse or overdose has a severe effect on the brain and its functions.
- especially from long-term use as the body tries to maintain the pH levels.
- a final effect from increased heart rates and blood pressure.
- ruptured blood vessels in the brain which cannot withstand the pressure.
Signs of Adderall addiction
Needing larger doses to feel the drug’s effects. Some people progress in their dosage consumption to get the euphoric high they want to get.
Spending a lot of money on the drug. Addiction may even result in you lending from people for you to purchase the drug. Even if the prices rose, an addict would still purchase at the high prices.
Taking the drug with prior knowledge of its effects. You know you will feel worked out later, you realize you will become nauseated followed by stomach pains but you still take the drug. At this moment, you should seek professional help.
Not being able to finish work without the drug. This is a sign of your dependency on the drug to tackle your work.
Been unable to feel alert without the drug. If the drug is what completes you, then you are an addict. This is the scenario where it is the drug that makes you feel normal.
Anxiety-nervousness, and worrying
which may affect how an individual behaves.
especially mental exhaustion and one would feel like they need the drug to overcome this state.
the user becomes less interested in some activities, feeling sad, low moods. This is especially if the individual had been dependent on the drug.
Adderall is an appetite suppressant, and when one quits, their appetite increases greatly.
Sleepiness and sleeplessness,
this is a contradictory statement but one that is true. Adderall would eventually leave the user feeling tired and weak, but they cannot get their sleep.
There’s no cure for Adderall withdrawal, and one has to wait out for the effects to wear.
Some risky combos with Adderall are
- MAO Inhibitors
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Other Stimulants.
It is the most popular psychostimulant from the eugeroic class of drugs. A compound of adrafinil.
Eugeroics are used to promote wakefulness and alertness; therefore, modafinil is used to treat excessive sleepiness and sleep disorders.
It cures the disease but helps the patients stay awake.
Just like Adderall, modafinil increases dopamine concentration in the brain but it does this in a very different manner, it blocks the dopamine transporters from the brain leading to higher concentrations of it.
It also elevates hypothalamic histamine levels.
- Stimulates focus and attention.
- Improves energy and motivation levels
- Has fewer side effects as compared to Adderall and lower risk of addiction.
- Used by ADHD patients, but FDA is yet to approve it for this purpose.
It is safer for long-term use.
Approved for; narcolepsy, sleep apnea and people working irregular hours.
Some military personnel has been using the drug to stay woke in their day to day activities.
- Mood lifts
- Cognitive enhancement
- Improved task enjoyment
- Greater motivation
- Appetite reduction
- Increased heart rate
- Increased blood pressure
- A headache
- Dry mouth
(All effects having been described in the Adderall effects)
Perceived to have a lower abuse potential than Adderall. This is because it has fewer stimulant effects.
Euphoria doesn’t exist with it.
Improves memory and executive functions.
Once ingested, it starts working after about 20 minutes and would normally last for 6 – 12 hours.
Words of interest
Attention-Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder is a chronic condition including attention difficulty, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness. It often begins in childhood and can continue even into adulthood.
Is a sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. Excessive snoring would note it and feel tired even after a full night’s sleep.
Comparison of Modafinil and Adderall
Benefits patients suffering from ADHD or narcolepsy.
- Wakefulness-promoting agents. Improves focus and attention levels when taken by healthy people. Enabling one to study longer, therefore one ends up getting more work done.
- Some users have claimed that they have become more creative after taking the drug.
- Referred to as smart drugs to those who seek cognitive enhancement.
The use of Adderall and Modafinil for studying
The drugs mentioned above can keep you on edge for hours. They can enable you to finish on that assignment that has been a whole lot of trouble for you. You can finally sit and study for your exams. But there definitely is one that is better than the other.
As seen from the effects and side effects, Modafinil would be a better choice to use when studying, and this is because:
1. It is safer than Adderall.
It is not strong enough to induce addiction and therefore would not lead an individual, in this case, a student, to be dependent on it.
2. It is just as effective as Adderall on cognition and mood.
The drugs are not only abused by studying but also for
- this is because it suppresses appetite.
- athletes use the drugs to counter fatigue.
- to complete longer tasks.
As a recreational drug
- some people use it to get a certain level of euphoric highness.
Do Modafinil and Adderall really make you smart?
Just like any other stimulants, the drugs improve your self-confidence. This does not mean they make you smarter, what they do is that they make you think you are smarter. Adderall’s euphoric effect makes studying more pleasurable.
Benefits of the drugs on studying is that they increase alertness and focus. They also improve the executive function, ability to swift through new information and make plans based on it. This is not necessarily an improvement in performance. As proven by scientists, they have little effect on creativity and motor excitability. Though some users would describe otherwise.
Can modafinil and Adderall be taken together?
There has been a huge misconception that if one takes modafinil and Adderall together, they will get double the benefits. But that stands as it is, a misconception. If combined, it leads to over-stimulation which has adverse side effects. One may feel more nauseous, extreme headaches, anxiety among others. Prescribed combinations from doctors are what should be followed.
Why you should not mix Adderall or Modafinil with Alcohol.
Adderall and Modafinil are stimulants whereas alcohol is a depressant, but this does not mean that they cancel each other’s effects. Adderall dulls effects of alcohol, and this may make you consume more than you actually do.
This may, in turn, lead to alcohol poisoning and do you know the amount of damage it can have on your liver?
The combination can also lead to aggression and extreme disorientation.
No matter what effects these over the counter medication have on you, you should always consult a doctor or physician before their use. The two drugs are widely abused as compared to their medical prescription uses especially among college students and professionals with demanding jobs. Do remember that they are prescription drugs for a reason. Only YOU can reduce the harm that comes with un-prescribed drugs.
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite Supplement!!